5 November 2011

Homemade Bread

Image taken from A Fondess for Reading
Is there any smell better than homemade bread fresh from the oven?  I think not!  Lately I've been trying to make my bread instead of buying it.  It's not so time consuming to actually make it, but it does take a little planning.  Can't just pop into the grocery store when I run out, so I have to be aware beforehand and schedule it into the day.  

Honestly though, there's just no substitute for homemade bread.  A slice of warm bread, perhaps toasted in the oven even, with a dollop of fresh churned butter soaking into it - both warm from the heat of the fire.  Add in a cup of spiced cider on a cold day...

I'll interupt my daydreams to pen a whole wheat bread recipe that I've found success with.  I used corn flour in this one because a friend of mine is gluten-sensitive and doesn't tolerate white flour well, but I'm sure you can easily substitute all-purpose flour. 

There is another bread recipe (for french baguettes) I'm itching to try from here that was passed on to me by a friend.  I'll have to let you know how it goes.  I love bread.

Image taken from Baking is Hot


WHOLE WHEAT HERB BREAD

2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
about 2 cups corn flour
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp thyme
sea salt

Mix together yeast, honey and water until yeast begins to foam.  Add salt, spices, oil and stir well.  Add flours and mix until you have a dough consistency.  Knead dough for 8-10 minutes.  Cover with damp tea towel and let rise for about 1 hour in a warm place until doubled in size.  Punch down, divide in half and roll into rectangle.  Roll up at short side and press to seal seam.  Place seam side down in greased loaf pan.  Brush top with vegetable oil.  Sprinkle top with a little basil, oregano and sea salt.  Cover and let rise until doubled in size (between 30-60 minutes).

Bake at 425 F for about 35-45 minutes until loaves sound hollow when tapped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment