4 February 2012

The eternal


There are times where I look around me and feel the transience of everything.  Seasons change, buildings crumble, empires fall, colours fade, people die.  Nothing material lasts forever.  

This feeling pulls my spirit, like a magnet with metal, to the invisible world.  When I step outside into the vast darkness of night, a thick blanket of untouched snow covering the ground and muting my footsteps into silence, while all around not a sound can be heard - not even the gentle acceptance of the ground as it embraces the white flakes falling from the sky - then I glimpse the eternal and I think:

"Whom have I in heaven but You?  And there is none on earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."  (Psalm 73: 25-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment