18 February 2012

Fragmented



I shouldn't be here.  At least, I shouldn't be here writing.  I have grape leaves to stuff for dinner.  And jam tarts to finish filling.  (And a watercolour sketch to finish...)  And, and, and.  I don't usually have free time to write.  Often, my entries are so disjointed because they've been interrupted by something (such as kid 1 sitting on kid 2) and I've had to resume a few hours/days later.  This disjointed pattern is something I would love to break.  It's not just with my writing.  It's leaked into all aspects of my life.  



Rare is the conversation I can have without a type of mental fragmentation.  In fact, I can't honestly remember the last time I organized my thoughts on a subject before jumping into the fray.  I am very much in need of a good writing course - and a bit of practice - to ease me back into the swing of things.  (Then again, sleep always looks more attractive than more work.)

Also rare are the moments where I am not multitasking while in the kitchen.  I should be honest here and say that this usually leads to very "interesting" episodes of no-salt (or too much salt!) dishes.  In fact, I've forgotten ingredients so many times that nowadays D. carries on without blinking.  He's a trooper, that one.  These tarts, fortunately, were completed without any disastrous omissions.  I call them berry cream tartlets.  They are the result of ingenuity (not very modest, am I), a cranky toddler and overripe blueberries.

Whatever you do, don't forget the jam.  It gives a kick to an otherwise neutral concoction.  Disjointed and fragmented my mind may be, but taste buds never lie.  Do yourself a favour: don't omit the jam.  Or the butter.  








BERRY CREAM TARTLETS

Tartlet Shell
1 cup salted butter
2 cups flour (pastry flour is good)
5 Tbsp cold water

Filling
Rasberry Jam

Cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup marscapone cheese
1/2 cup ripe blueberries
3 Tbsp powdered sugar

Cut butter into the flour until mixture resembles course bread crumbs.  Add water and mix until dough forms a ball.  (May need a little less/more.)  Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease 2 muffin pans.  Roll out dough on floured surface.  Cut with small rounds with a round cookie cutter.  Place each round in the pan wells and press down on bottom and sides.  Bake until shells are golden (around 20-30 minutes?).  Let cool.

For the cream: Puree up blueberries.  Add cream and mix until stiff.  Add sugar and marscapone cheese.  Beat until well mixed and cream is stiff.

Fill cooled tartlets with rasberry jam.  Serve with a dollop of blueberry cream and garnish with whole blueberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment