10 April 2011

Orange Vanilla Cake

Yesterday M. was sick and kept us up all night, so needless to say we were pretty bushed today.  I mean, a sick toddler and a 2 month infant are hardly a recipe for restful sleep.  I have to say though that being up all night does weird things to me. During the day, I went on an obsessive cleaning spree.  (Like I said, weird.)  Dusting, laundry, changing sheets, vacuuming, you name it.  And even weirder?  When all was said and done, I felt excellent.  Go figure.

In the evening, M. decided he was sufficiently well enough to bake a cake.  I mean, what is it about kids and cooking?!  Even when he's ill, M. heads for the kitchen!  I wonder if it's the same with every child...?  Now anyone with sick kids knows that you don't feed them dairy when they're congested, right?  So how do you reconcile that rule with a cake?  Easy!  Don't use dairy.  After a few minutes of brainstorming, we came up with the recipe for a scrumptious orange vanilla cake.  Creating the cake was super easy and after sampling a piece, D. promptly approved. 

I feel compelled to insert this small footnote: I am not an anti-butter advocate.  On the contrary, I love the stuff, especially in baking!  That rich, moist, buttery taste when you first bite into fresh shortbread, or a piece of warm pound cake.  Yes sir, you really can taste the difference.  I'm not saying I slather my toast with butter (I much prefer jam), or use copious amounts in every dish.  My motto: everything in moderation. 

So if, like me, you enjoy butter and don't have sick kids to deter you, feel free to substitute butter for the margarine and 2 eggs for the soy milk.  It tastes delicious either way.

ORANGE VANILLA CAKE

  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 cups white flour
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (with pulp)
  • 1/2 cup organic soy milk
  • 2-3 tsp orange zest (optional)
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly coat two loaf pans with a pat of margarine.  Cream margarine and sugar.  Mix in the vanilla and baking powder.  Add flour, orange juice, soy milk and orange zest if desired.  Mix well.  Divide batter between the two loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until golden brown.  Let cool before removing from pans. 

I will say that M. enjoyed his cake with a cup of camomile tea.  A little man after my own heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment