7 May 2011

Happy Mothers Day!

I read an article in the Globe and Mail titled "Why the 1970s were the best time to be a mom".  It was a very interesting read.  I'm not sure I completely agree with the overall message, but I do think that the author has a point.  I have no doubt that being a mother in the 1970s was somewhat less stressful, especially given the evidence.  (The part where Dr. O'Reilly reminisces about being "aired" outside while her mother did laundry was gold!)  I need to believe that there's hope for me as a modern-day mom to have a great experience mothering my kids. 

After mulling things over during the day, I came to two conclusions.  Parenting in the 70s may have been more relaxed, but they didn't know the impact of various decisions to the extent we do today.  Take eating: health science was nowhere near as informed as today.  Mothers fed their kids whatever, but if they had known the potential impact of said food, would they still have done it?  The same for most other differences I can account for. 

The second conclusion I arrived at is I think moms and dads need to find the balance between the pressures of "perfect" parenting today and the joys of the nonchalance of yesteryears.  (Having more than one kid helps with letting go and not sweating the small stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment