8 June 2011

Joy Cometh in the Morning

Image taken from Andy Heatwole at Local Texas
My great uncle passed away this past weekend and we had the funeral yesterday.  It wasn't a sad funeral.  I mean, we were a little sad to say goodbye, but most of us realized that 1) we'll be seeing  him again, and 2) it was his time.  He left behind a great legacy through his children, grandchildren, philanthropy and attitude.

What I loved most was how even in death, he was inspiring.  Personally, he inspired me to do something with my own life just from listening to stories about his.  Here was a man who seized each day with vigour and zest! 
  
My grandfather passed away years ago and hearing how my great uncle spent time with his grandchildren made me a little envious.  I was envious of the memories they shared, of the wisdom they gleaned, of the stories they recounted.  I'm thankful for the memories that I have of my grandfather, but I wish I had more time with him.  I really hope my own children can have that with their grandparents. 

My grandfather actually raised his kids in Egypt and then immigrated to Canada.  Growing up, we loved hearing stories of Egypt so, every so often, my dad would bring home sugarcane or mangos and tell us about his life amid the pyramids while we pigged out.  My dad loves mangos.  I think it's because his dad loved them.  I imagine they were fairly expensive in Egypt, where they grew up, but totally worth it!  (The way that super sweet, juicy tang hits your tastebuds...YUM-O!) 

This is my train of thought justifying making a dessert involving mangos!  :o)  I found this awesome recipe for Thai mango pudding.  Although mango pudding is a traditional oriental dessert, I'd like to think of it as a kind of tribute to my father, my grandfather, and my great uncle.

Image taken from Anncoo at Anncoo Journal

MANGO PUDDING

2 medium, ripe mangoes
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk (can use cream for a richer pudding)

Heat up the water until it reaches a rolling bowl.  Remove from the heat, while stirring the water with a whisk or fork, sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and stir briskly in order not to have any lumps.  Add the sugar to the gelatin mixture and stir to dissolve.

Scoop out the pulp from the mangoes including around the stone.  Place the mango pulp in a food processor or blender and blend to create a smooth mango puree.  Add gelatin mixture and milk to the mango puree and blend briefly until ingredients are combined.  Pour into dessert bowls or cups and place in the refrigerator for at least 2-4 hours.  Serve topped with mango cubes, or fresh berries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment