22 July 2011

Ice Cream

I thought I was finished with strawberries, but it so happened that we went to Whittamore's Farm last week and picked some on our way out.  After putting them in the fridge, I forgot about them for a few days (not a good idea).  By the time I got around to remembering, they still tasted delicious, but didn't look too good.  Hmmm.  Anything garnish was out.  I really wanted to make something showstopping with them, but I couldn't bear using them in just a coulis.  Solution?  ICE CREAM!

I'm not going to lie.  Strawberry ice cream is probably my favourite, and this recipe is the best I've tasted so far.  I can't remember where I got it from, but I've changed the recipe several times, so I don't know if it matters anymore.  :o)   

Image from Anneke Schram


STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
(Makes about 1.5 L)

2 1/3 cups heavy cream (or 1 cup cream and 1 1/3 cups milk)
1/8 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups ripe strawberries, trimmed and quartered
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Combine cream and salt in heavy saucepan and bring just to boil.  Remove from heat.  Whisk eggs with 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking.  Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat over low, stirring constantly until slightly thickened (about 170 degrees F).  DO NOT LET BOIL.

Immediately pour custard through fine sieve into metal bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.  Chill, covered, until cold, about 2 hours and up to 1 day.  While custard is chilling, place a rectangular metal cake pan in the freezer.  Mash strawberries with remaining 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice using an immersion.  (If you don't want strawberryy chunks in your ice cream, puree in blender and strain through a sieve.)  Stir strawberry mixture into cooled custard. 

Pour mixture into the cake pan, cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer.  Stir every 20-25 minutes until mixture has frozen into ice cream consistancy, about 4-5 hours.  Transfer to airtight container for storage.  Enjoy on a hot day!





No comments:

Post a Comment