8 March 2012

Single stitches & sugar cookies



While hardly solving any real problems in the world, I feel compelled to share my triumph in (finally!) learning how to crochet.  Of course, that is to say, I learned one type of crochet stitch: the single stitch.  How fitting.  My life is comprised of single stitches.  I'm just not competent enough to handle a more complex stitch.  I need to savour each daily event on its own to remain calm and fully connected.  

Knit one, pearl two.  And don't forget to count if you're trying out a zigzag pattern.  (My first project is to be a zigzag baby blanket for a pregnant friend's new baby.)  It's not that I forget to count so much as... well, I miss stitches, which makes for uneven zigzagging.  I often miss things in life too.  For example, this past winter M had an ear infection that took me a couple of days to catch.  I'll spare you the reminiscing of a mother's guilt.  Not fun.  





Thankfully, I rarely miss things when it comes to cookies.  This was my kitchen this morning.  Lots of crumbs, chocolate-smeared hands, and cookies.  Our morning was warm, sweet and chewy.  While these cookies were supposed to be gifts, it's pretty hard not to sample at least a few of the goodness that is chocolate chip cookies.  They reminded me, strangely, of a recent foray with sugar cookies.  (In fact, not so strangely as the recipes are very similar.)

I love sugar cookies.  I mean, what's not to love?  They are perfect for just about any occasion, can be dressed up or down, cut out with various shaped cutters or dropped unceremoniously onto a tray.  The sugar cookies of which I speak are special by virtue of the fact that they are completely vegan.  No milk, no eggs, no butter.  Understand that I am of the opinion it is not blasphemy to construct a sugar cookie without butter. And if you try these, I am sure you will be convinced too.  Slightly crunchy edges, firm yet chewy centre, dusted with sugar granules.  Perfect for a windy, winter day.   That and a warm cup of tea to enjoy alongside my ball of yarn.  Knit one, pearl two.  And counting...


SUGAR COOKIES

1 1/8 cup margarine (or vegetable shortening)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/8 - 1/4 cup applesauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cream together margarine and sugar.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Add enough applesauce to moisten dough.  Drop onto baking tray and flatten slightly.  Bake for 12-18 minutes until the tops are ever-so-slightly golden.  Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.  

No comments:

Post a Comment