26 May 2011

My Country Home

I have always loved the country.  My house isn't huge but it does have a large, french style kitchen with a bay window overlooking the backyard and a cozy nook for relaxing with a book while waiting for the oven to ding.  It's pretty quiet, especially in the mornings, so I like to sit on the porch as the sun rises with my tea and just soak up God's handiwork prior to starting my own. 

Image taken from Marilyn Hageman at allposters.com

My house sits on about an acre of land; a perfect space for kiddies to run around.  We have a beautiful vegetable garden out back where we grow huge tomato plants, zucchini, cuccumbers, onions, potatoes and some herbs.  We also have apple, cherry and peach trees, all of which are excellent for pies and tarts. 

Yes sir, I am a country girl.

Image taken by Robin Stubbert with Country Living

Ok, so truth be told, I live in a condo at the edge of Toronto, a bustling metropolitan city.  I don't have a garden to lovingly cultivate in quiet hours.  I don't have a little white house with a picket fence.  I don't even have a backyard for my kids to run around in.  And my kitchen?  It's about the size of your bathroom. 

I try not to let this get to me, but sometimes it bothers me in such a way that I have to make chocolate chip cookies.  Since today is Friday, I decided to make a dairy-free version.  I can't explain what it is about chocolate chip cookies that makes them soothe my "country-pinning".  Perhaps it's the chewy centres, moist yet firm, which distract me from my troubles.  Or perhaps it's the fact that they go so perfectly with afternoon tea, which in my books is a panacea for everything.  Whatever the case may be, cookies somehow return me to rights. 

Image taken from Anna at Cookie Madness
 
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (Dairy Free)

1 cup margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream margarine, sugars, and vanilla together.  Add rest of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add enough applesauce to moisten dough well.  Mix in chocolate chips and blend into dough.  Drop onto parchment lined baking sheet and flatten with hand.  Bake for about 12 minutes at 350 until slightly golden brown on top.  Let cool before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment