10 April 2012

Happiness



I am popping by today because I feel compelled to share something short and sweet.  You see, I found a very beautiful quote today, courtesy of a friend.  It was very peaceful and uplifting to read, and I'm sure  it will bring you the same sentiments.  (Also, I wanted to share the recipe for a salad dressing that receives pretty rave reviews each time it appears on our table.)  Hope you enjoy both!

" I often lie awake at night from happiness, and all the time think of our future life together. I have lived through much, but now I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to having it done to them; work which one hopes might be of some use; rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor- such is my idea of happiness."

(Leo Tolstoy, Family Happiness and Other Stories)

(Incidentally, this dressing is my idea of happiness too!)  


LEMON GARLIC SALAD DRESSING

2 cloves garlic

1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice (works well with fresh or bottled)
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine lemon juice, oil and salt in a small jar or container.  (I use an old baby food jar, or a small jam jar.)  Mash garlic cloves with mortar and pestle until reduced to a smooth pulp.  Add garlic to jar.  Shake well and drizzle on a salad.  

* Here's a little salad inspiration as an added bonus: romaine lettuce, baby spinach, tomatoes, fresh mint, cucumbers, chopped avocado pieces.  Drizzle lemon garlic dressing on top and toss.  And eat.  And smile with delight.  Then eat some more.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Me too!! (I mean that exactly as effusively as it looks...)

    :o)

    ReplyDelete