30 October 2014

Kitchenry

The kitchen is the heartbeat of our home.  There is always something going on here.  Always a gathering of bodies, foods, projects.  Here are some of the things we've been up to during the week...

*                      *                         *                          *                     *                       *                       *

This morning we are making a batch of pumpkin-apple butter, so I am shuttling back and forth between the stove and the computer.  Which of course means I am going to fire away here without much ado.  


:: Roasting our pumpkin.  It was a small one, and I think next time I'll get bigger.  Big enough to make a pie alongside the pumpkin butter.  



:: Can't forget the seeds.  We love nuts and seeds around here.  We washed, salted and roasted these in the oven with a just a smidgen of oil.  You can leave out the oil if you wish.  



:: Turkey pot pie.  It's a challenge to use up leftovers in creative ways, but sometimes things work out awesome.  :)  It looks time consuming, but it's really so simple to throw together.



:: Ginger cake with spiced buttercream.  It's as good as it sounds.  Just a hint of sweetness - nothing like those cloyingly sweet iced cakes.  



:: Roasted chicken for dinner.  And then the carcass became the broth for some chicken soup.  Just the thing with the weather turning.  This chicken feeds us for 3-4 meals.  Two with the chicken itself and two with the soup.  (Maybe one with the just the chicken if D is ravenous.)  I add as many veggies as I can, or have on hand to our soups.  I don't know why.  I just feel that they are better.  Kids will eat almost anything in chicken noodle soup.  



:: We are really big into soups when things get chilly.  This is my (blurry) version of creamy cauliflower soup.  (Oh my but it was delicious!)  Dice an onion, then saute in a large pot until translucent.  Take a head of cauliflower, chop into small bits and pieces, wash, add to onions and saute until slightly browned.  Add chicken or vegetable stock - about 4 cups.  Let boil until cauliflower is tender.  While boiling, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan.  Add 1/3-1/2 cup flour and whisk for 2 minutes.  Add 2 cups of milk and stir constantly until thickened.  Pour into big pot and stir.  Let boil, then turn off heat.  If desired, take about 100g of cheese (any kind you like) and shred it on top.  Stir until cheese has melted.  



:: Romano beans in a tomato sauce.  Kind of like stew, but vegan.  Amazing.  At least, it's a big favourite around here.  Kids love it with rice.  D loves it with salads, radishes, pickles.  

Well, that's it for this week.  Have a lovely weekend.  They're predicting snow this weekend!  :)


Joining Heather and friends for This Week In My Kitchen.  

12 comments:

  1. Good things in your kitchen this week. the ginger cake looks so yummy! We are big soup lovers here. Have you ever tried roasting your cauliflower before adding it to your soup...so good!

    We are a little giddy about the snow, let's hope it actually comes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea! Actually, that's usually how we eat our cauliflower anyhow, so it'd be perfect to try out. Roast, eat half as usual and save half for soup. Thanks, Kim!

      Delete
  2. Your food looks and sounds delicious! and I love your eat-all-the-food ideas like the pumpkin seeds. That pie is beautiful.

    Wow, snow! It's almost 90 where I am! Enjoy yourself and bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and my mother-in-law are both old school cooks - the kind who grew up with parents who survived the Great Depression, or lived through civil war. They use almost everything when they cook. So I really have to give them the credit. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Alexa - That cauliflower soup looks delicious and simple to make - I love simple! And I'm picturing a slice of your ginger cake with a hot cup of tea. All perfect for a snowy week-end.
    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mam! It really is the perfect cake with tea. I find a lot of cakes are too sweet to go with tea for some reason. This one is perfect with standard black tea, earl grey, and it extends so nicely to the herbals - green tea, ginger tea, camomile, peppermint. I will try to post that recipe when I get a moment...

      Delete
  4. Oh my I bet it smells amazing in your house! I've been wanting to try some pumpkin butter myself so I may just do that today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's evening now and there is still a very faint smell of cinnamon lingering around here. :) I hope you get a chance to get to it too - it's a nice treat. (Also, I find that if you want to make crunchy pumpkin cookies, the only way is to use pumpkin butter.) Another great reason...

      Delete
  5. Your photos share all that kitchen goodness. The soup looks delicious! So does the potpies and cake... thanks for sharing and inspiring this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Marcela! It's a lot of fun to spend time in the kitchen. The kids love helping out and even just stirring a pot over the stove is kind of therapeutic. From your post, I think your home is the same too! It's so nice when the kitchen is the heartbeat of the home. Everyone pitches in, enjoys and profits. :)

      Delete
  6. Just discovering your blog and loving it! I think I can actually smell the bread on your banner photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, there is nothing better than the smell of bread fresh from the oven. Thanks so much for your visit. I loved checking out your blog too - so full of home-y goodness!

      Delete