23 June 2012

From that to this

A few days have come and gone since arriving in Lebanon and we're doing our best to adjust to the time difference.  It's a process made slightly more complicated by the monkeys.  Especially when one of the monkeys is teething and up at ungodly hours to begin with.  And of course, it doesn't help when the other is sick with a fever and sore throat.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Thank God for Tante Amira (my MIL) who shoulders most of the work around here.  (Leaving us free to nap when the opportunity, however brief, presents itself.)



Our trip began with an adventure of sorts, though not particularly pleasant in my opinion.  Upon arriving at the airport, we realized that I had left the passports in my purse at my parents' house.  Not very helpful when they are required for check in.  A real catastrophe in the making actually.  It's all a blur now: the panic; the surge of adrenaline; racing home and back; discovering en route that our flight had been delayed an hour and a half.  What a whirlwind!  I'm ever so glad to report an otherwise uneventful journey.

Time in rural Lebanon passes slowly.  Perhaps it's the lack of sophisticated technology, or maybe it's the heat.  Family life is comfortable and .  I don't say that it's easy, but it's the sort of work that makes you happy at the end of the day - as if you accomplished something extraordinary!



The gardens are in full bloom and we've been eating of their bounty since our arrival.  Succulent zucchini, leafy parsley, fresh mint, juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, ripe corn.  And fruit.  Lots of it!  Watermelon, peaches, cantaloupe, apricots, even strawberries.  I must say that last one was a very welcome surprise.  And here I was thinking I'd be bereft of strawberries for 6 months!  :o)




Anyhow, on that sweet note, I bid you a restful weekend!  May you have strawberries in abundance, wherever you are!





"I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."  (Helen Keller)

No comments:

Post a Comment