13 June 2012

Let them eat cake!

Moving day is today and so naturally I'm writing a blog post.  (Well, procrastination IS my middle name.)  Oh, and did I mention that the condo building decided to shut off the water today?  What a perfect day to move...



Aside from watching Murphy's Law in action, things are good.  Just a few more boxes of kitchen ware left to pack.  That and the bathroom.  Not too shabby given the amount of running around we've been doing the past 2 weeks.  (See here for exhibit A.)  As of right now, I'm officially running on adrenaline.

And gratitude.

Gratitude to my aunt, my sister, my mom and my husband.  Gratitude for all the wonderful people who have helped (and are still helping!) to make this whole adventure as enjoyable, or at least as painless, as possible.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart... and from every sore muscle in my body.  :o)



Since it will be a while before I share another recipe - subject to feasibility and my mother-in-law's goodwill - I'd like to post a sort of hurrah!-peace-out type affair.  I discovered this recipe while trolling around the internet a while back.  It's not a bad cake as it stands, but I tweaked the frosting to make it over-the-top decadent.

I've heard nothing but praise from anyone who's ever tried this cake.  Coffee lovers, consider yourselves warned!  Incidentally, if you stick it in the fridge for an hour before serving, the icing tastes like ice cream.







ICED MOCHA CAKE

Cake
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar

2 tsp espresso or instant coffee granules 
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp hot water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Lightly grease two 9 inch round pans.  Cream the sugar and egg yolks until the mixture is the colour of butter.  Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.  In a small bowl or cup, mix the coffee granules with the water and add the cocoa powder.  Pour this into the egg sugar mixture along with the oil and beat well to mix.



Sift the flour and baking powder over this bowl with sugar mixture.  Beat on low until everything is blended well.  Fold in the egg whites until there are no traces of white.  Divide this among the pans and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.  Cool the cakes in the pan for a few minutes and then turn them on to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.


Mocha Buttercream Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp Instant coffee granules
2 Tbsp hot water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 cup milk


Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add in the cocoa powder and blend well.  Mix the coffee granules with the water and vanilla extract and add to the frosting.  Add 1/4 cup milk and blend well.  Add more milk to achieved desired consistency.  



No comments:

Post a Comment