28 January 2015

It broke.



My sewing machine is broken.  What a lamentable day!  I mean, thankfully, J's bag is done.  Minus the little fairy jewel I need to sew on by hand that is.  (Such a pretty button!)  At least there's that.  But, of course, I have another two bags I'm working on too!  Which means they will have be put aside for now until I find the time to a) tinker with the machine or b) take it in for a tune up.  I'm a little nervous to think about trying a) right now.  



Haven't been working with yarn too much these days.  Trying to finish this chick hat along with the other two.  It's been in the bottom of my bag for a looooooong time.  I actually found it on our trip this past weekend and did a bit of work on it.





The kids have been busy with their own work.  Lots of making from the treasures we collected during the summer.  And lots of painting for M.  He loves the texture, the feeling of the materials sure.  But what he really loves about painting is mixing colours.  He tries several combinations, and the endpoint finds him with everything all swirled together - an irresistible impulse.  J is more about cooking and baking.  She likes to stir.  And she likes to make sweets.  Hmmm.  I wonder who she takes after.





I've mainly been busy with school work for the kids.  So much to make, organize and research.  I am trying to put together our French "program" for the summer.  It is a huge task.  And one I feel somewhat unqualified to do.  Oh well.  Isn't that the story of a parent's life?  Unqualified, but called none the less.




Yesterday some new materials I ordered came in.  I am especially in love with the stamp game.  It is so beautiful.  Really!  The little chips, the number tiles, the pegs.  All organized in their proper colours and slots.  Ah.  I can't wait to show it to M.  I know he will love working with it!  And of course, with the gathering of new materials, I am now in need of more storage space.  I need a bookshelf - preferably with drawers or doors at the bottom.  A new wish list item!  (And pretty much at the top too!)



There's something about being physically (and metaphysically) organized that speaks to me.  I need it.  I crave it.  When I see clutter, I suddenly have to clean.  It's been like that for as long as I can remember.  Whenever I had to hunker down and study for an exam in university, the first thing I did was clean my room.  Procrastination, you say?  Perhaps.  I just couldn't really focus otherwise.  Those days of studying may be over (or not), but the other part has remained.



This is not to say that my home is immaculate.  Most of the time, it is strewn around with toys, books and whatever creative projects we are all working on.  But, at the end of the day, everything has it's place.  Everything has a home.  And when it is put away, I am mollified.



Joining Nicole and friends for this week's Keep Calm Craft On, and Ginny and friends for this week's Yarn Along.  

9 comments:

  1. The chick hat is quite adorable. I hope you get the sewing machine fixed, that's a bummer. I know what you mean about everything being organized. I'm like that too. When I finish a knitting project I have to tidy up before I can start a new one. It keeps me sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Laura. I hope so too! And it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one! :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful Mom you are - I love all the projects you engage your children in.
    I hope you bite the bullet and bring your sewing machine in to be repaired. It seems as if you really miss it already. I like things in some sort of order too. It frees your mind to think about more important/creative things! Have a lovely day, Alexa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I do miss it! I guess I go through cycles of sewing and crocheting or knitting. I just got into a sewing groove, so this is a bummer. I will try to take a look myself (because I've convinced myself that's what a real seamstress should be able to do)... but I will avail myself of plan b if that doesn't work out.

      Hoping your day is lovely too!

      Delete
  3. We are so much alike...I can't handle clutter either. During the day while we are busy living in our home, there are things here and there, but at the end of the day, just like you, everything has its place and is returned there, before I sit down to knit or read for the evening :)

    Love the making you have been doing. Hope the sewing machine gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That's funny, Kim. It sounds like we are SO alike! I hope I get some time to deal with the machine too. I got a repair kit today, so I'll have a go myself before plan b.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry your machine broke. I had mine serviced a few months back (foot was bent) and it just about killed me for 5 days. Hopefully your machine-less days are shortly numbered. All that creating, making and baking... just wonderful to see!

    Have a wonderful week-end. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! And the bag looks amazing!

      Delete
    2. So hard to sit back and wait when you have a stash of fabric cut, pinned and ready to go. If my hands weren't so clumsy, I'd be sorely tempted to stitch by hand! :)

      Delete