10 December 2014

My babies and some of our Christmas preparations



I  keep having to remind myself to write in the blog.  It's become a once-a-week affair these days.  So many things to do and being done that I don't have the energy to maintain this space quite as efficiently.  It makes me sad because so many precious moments have slipped by without any note for posterity.  I treasure the times I have with the kids when they just fill me up with sunshine - especially when they're in a talking mood.  Oh my.  

J loves to chat with a willing listener.  She'll talk and talk and talk.  Sometimes she makes no sense.  Sometimes she's hilarious.  She has imaginary friends (the effect of hearing M's school stories) and they feature abundantly in her stories.  She loves to repeat the lessons (usually moral) or stories we read together during the day.  It's beautiful to listen to a 3 year old uttering profound truths.  And it's kind of, I don't know, comforting in a way to know that we can impact her life so profoundly. 

M is just gold.  That boy makes me laugh and cry at the same time.  He is so sweet inside that I can't help hugging him whenever I can.  He watches over his sisters very seriously whenever we are away, and it is comforting to know that they have such a gallant protector.  Of course, he does love to tease them too...  ;)

As for S, that little one never stops.  She's so different from the other two.  Mentally very organized - she that each thing has it's own place and likes to keep it there.  She loves to clean up, loves to follow instructions (even sometimes when she doesn't want to do it!), and loves to give kisses.  She has a special greeting for D when he comes home and for me when I come back from an errand.  It's like winning the lottery when she smiles and runs to your arms singing "Mama!".  

Next week is baking week for us.  Cookies, Yule logs, savoury pies, peppermint bark, sea salt chocolate caramels.  We have some favourites here, that's for sure!  And of course, then it's really down to the wire with cleaning, cooking, decorating, wrapping and such end of the line preparations. 

I am up to my elbows in yarn for now.  I am trying to finish with the Rapunzel hair hats (two more left).  Also, I have a gorgeous red scarf I am trying furiously to complete on time.  I've added a couple more projects (which of course I can't talk about), and so I doubt very much a day will go by where I am not crocheting.  I want so badly to whip up a warm pair of socks and a pair of dinosaur mittens for M to match his hat, but I am sceptical as to the probability of me finishing it all.  So they have question marks beside them on the list.  I'll keep going right to the end and just hope they're all done for Christmas.  :)

As for reading, that's absurd!  No books.  No time.  My hands aren't free to turn the pages.  :)  It's all yarn for me.  I would LOVE to read A Mother's Rule of Life.  Perhaps in the New Year?  It's on my Christmas list anyhow.  

Well, I must be off.  Lunch and dinner need making, and I have some yarn calling me...



Joining Ginny and friends for this week's Yarn Along.

8 comments:

  1. Your energy is invigorating! Every time I read about all you have going on, it just makes me want to get a move on, you know? That scarf is gorgeous and your children sound equally gorgeous. :-) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way when I read your goings-on! :) I really hope I get that scarf finished by Christmas... it's just begging to be worn!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...peppermint bark, we made some on the weekend, and yeah it's gone already. Sounds like life is full and that you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe... I'm afraid we're going to have the same story too. :)

      Delete
  3. How sweetly you speak of your children - isn't it just amazing, the joy they bring into our lives?
    The goodies you're planning to make sound delicious. I have to get a move on with my baking. I always feel like I still have plenty of time.
    Well, I hope you enjoy it all. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much joy. (And laughter!) I remember too many years where we were down to the wire and I realize that there isn't enough time!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Alexa. You and yours are a treasure. and Happy New Year. Love Aunt anne and Uncle Duncan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Annie! We miss you all heaps. Hoping this season will give us an excuse for some merrymaking together. :)

      Delete