1 November 2015

Daily updates, Sunday dinner and popcorn





Just wanted to share a quick knitting update.  I only have the front left side to finish and then sew the underarm seams.  It's a little wonky in places because my gauge is not quite uniform.  Behold the beginner!  Despite the imperfections, I think it's still a sweet little sweater.  I just can't wait to see if our little one or another baby girl will get to wear it.  (And here's me already mentally working on a new boy's sweater in grey!)

We have been going easy on schoolwork since school actually started.  It sounds logical since we're not technically homeschooling, but normally, "school" is much more than academics.  It is a complete life experience.  They learn cooking, cleaning, taking care of themselves and their environments and everything else that this wonderful life entails, including reading and writing and arithmetic.  :)



However, with D-day so close, and me so tired most of the time, we tend to take an even simpler approach.  A little reading together, washing the dishes, washing off the table, putting laundry away, a little sewing or other handiwork.  My sweet little son took up an embroidery needle for the first time this past week and made a little stocking for his teacher.  He was "practicing" for the Christmas gifts we plan to make, but he did so well.  He was just full of pride!  And he was absorbed for a while finishing his task - always careful to make sure the sharp needle didn't prick his fingers.  I love watching them fall in love with creating.



We've had some leftover ham in the fridge for a bit which needed using up.  I was going to make a potato ham chowder, then I thought we could do a ham quiche.   I ended up making a simple casserole.  And I'm so glad I did.  Roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli and ham, drizzled with olive oil, a dash of salt and sprinkled with cheese.  Nothing fancy, but 100% comfort food.  And there you have it, Sunday dinner!  :)  

I found this recipe here and I made a few minor adjustments.  It is really a delicious recipe for caramel popcorn and my little ones gobbled it all up in no time.  (Guess that means we need a double recipe for the future...)  I also love that it doesn't have corn syrup involved.  Plus, it takes very little time to throw it all together.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.


VEGAN CARAMEL POPCORN

1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp salt (can cut it to 1/2 tsp if desired)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp sunflower oil

6 cups air popped corn (I think it's like 1/3 cup kernels?)  

Pour maple syrup into a small pot.  Heat until boiling.  Add rest of ingredients except salt and keep stirring over heat for about 2-3 minutes.  (Turn heat down only if about to overflow.)  Pour over popcorn and mix well.  Sprinkle salt and mix well.  Place on baking tray and spread evenly.  Bake at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Break into pieces


No comments:

Post a Comment