14 July 2011

Byzantine Iconography

Byzantine iconography is a little hobby of mine.  Ever since I studied it in high school art, I was hooked.  Don't get me wrong, I love to watercolour too, but this is definitely something deeper.  I lose myself when I paint, and nowhere more so than painting icons.  

This is the latest icon I've finished.  It's been done for a while, but I was cleaning up yesterday and I discovered it tucked away in a drawer.  It's a triptych (a 3 panel icon) of Christ flanked by Sts. Joachim and Anna.  It's really a perfect wedding gift since Joachim and Anna are viewed as the patrons or models of married couples.  While egg tempera is traditional for Byzantine icons, this was done in acrylic on wood.  The background is 23 ct gold and the boards are solid maple.

I recently found a fantastic Byzantine icon of Christ creating the world using a mathematical compass.  It's awesome!  I hope I can find some time soon to copy it.  (So exciting!)

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I'm leading a retreat on creation next week. If it works with my presentation, may I put it in my little handout booklet I'm giving them? With attribution, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Sorry. I misread - was thinking this one was already yours! Certainly worth your time to write if you have done so since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning,
    It's wonderful....... Is it possible to know where did you find this icon ? On which book ? From where is it ? I would like to know what is writing......
    Thanks
    Best regards
    Jo from France
    Mail : kil08@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Jo! Bienvenue! Je l'ai trouvé sur Google il y a 9 ans. Vous pouvez chercher "Christ the Divine Architect byzantine icon" et j'imagine que vous le trouveriez. L'image decrit la creation du monde dans la Bible (Genesis).

      Laisse moi savoir si vous n'avez pas reussir a trouver l'image.

      Delete