20 October 2011

Minimalism

I was reading a blog the other day called The Minimalist Mom.  It's a pretty good read, even if you're not a minimalist. 

Personally, I never thought to classify myself as one.  We don't have a microwave or TV.  We have one car, but D. travels to work via subway.  We do have a lot of craft supplies.  And crayons.  And books.  I can fill a bookshelf with books on art alone.  D. got me an e-reader for my birthday so that I can take some of my books with me when we travel without exceeding luggage restrictions.  But we don't have a stereo or even a radio.  (Hmm... I guess we should get that last one.)  Anyhow, I may not be a conventional minimalist, but I guess I fit the bill!

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm a neat-freak.  You'd never know it from looking at my home on any given day (how clean can you be with a toddler trashing his room every hour!), but I really love order and cleanliness.  More stuff usually means more mess.  Also, I try not to look to consumer products for enjoyment if possible.  I feel lighter and happier without them.  My kids are definitely happier jumping into piles of leaves than with the latest remote control car.  (Bonus: less fights with friends over the leaves than with the car!) 

Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.  ~Osho

No comments:

Post a Comment