13 May 2014

The smell of sunshine



You know how rain has a distinct smell to it?  Well, I didn't know you could smell sunshine too.  I found out this weekend that you most certainly can.  It's warm, light, tangy, almost citrus-y, but with a hint of wood.  It's a delicious smell that fills you with all kinds of sensations.  Hope, calm, expectation, delight, ticklishness... My grade 12 English teacher would scold me for stringing along too many adjectives without being the least bit fastidious.  I can't help but wonder though if she'd ever smelled sunshine.  Perhaps she'd find herself in the same boat as I.

Anyhow, it got me wondering why I've never smelled it before?  It's not as if I've never seen sunshine!  Does one have to be in a certain place to smell it?  Or is it more dependent on the state of mind?  Was I just simply not aware enough in times past?  Who can say...?!  All I can tell you is that I wanted to stay outside forever!



We are home again from a whirlwind weekend visit to Michigan - one of our favourite places.  A last minute trip really and a wonderful visit with kindred spirits.  We are refreshed.  It seems that last minute occasions often turn out better than ones we plan in advance.  Of course, there are some things that cannot be planned for - they are the blessed gifts that fall into our laps along the way.  These are the numberless ways we see God's finger directing our lives - filling them with abundant goodness.  

And so we return with lightened burdens.  May your burdens also be as light today and throughout the week.  

Enjoy the sunshine (or rain)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment