27 September 2015

Hello, Fall!



It seems that with the coming of each season, our routine changes.  I have discovered that I don't like change very much.  At least, not when it throws me out of my comfort zone.  :)  Fall is upon us, though the temperatures have been very kind.  School has started, and while the kids are adjusting, mama it seems is still have a tough time with it all.



I can't seem to share the opinion of many parents when their kids start school.  To me, I'd rather have my babies around me.  We had a wonderful summer together.  Just wonderful.  I'm not ready to let that go.  Time is a precious gift.  It really let me connect with each child one-on-one at random times during the day.  I honestly felt that we had such a great routine going for us in the summer - profitable, relaxing, exciting and basically just right for us.  Now, I am rushing to get out the door on time without being able to truly connect with each one beforehand - at least not regularly.  I miss our less stressful mornings!



What I do love though is our evening routine.  Once they've finished any homework they have, we go outside to the park or wherever, and they run and play.  (D is great with that part!)  Then we come home, bathe if needed, get into pjs, have a snack, and cuddle up on the sofa to read.  And we read and read.  All three of them.  All over me.  Climbing, switching places, gently softing my belly, and then random conversations ensue.  Lots of questions, mental exploring, processing, revealing whatever's on their mind.  Oh, how I love that time.  I look forward to it all day.











And there are always weekends too.  In the fall, our weekends shift focus.  We are more eager to spend time together, so sometimes that means staying put.  Other times, there are soccer games, visits with family and friends, apple picking.  We've been apple-picking twice so far.  We suddenly decided to go last minute on Thursday.  So we picked up the kids from school and drove up to Dixie Orchards.  (I'm so glad for these last minute plans of ours sometimes!)  They were picking our favourite apple, jonagolds.  So we brought home a nice almost 1/2 bushel.  I suspect there will be more trips like that this month.  :)  The kiddies loved the play area and the animals.  J wanted to take a chick home!  They were only 8 days old - all fuzzy and peeping as they pecked at an apple.  How can you blame her!  





For this weekend there is food.  Thank God!  After a week of leftovers and last minute meals, there is a pot of chili on the stove.  And spinach with ground beef to serve with rice.  Like I said, thank God.  This mama is getting more tired each day.  I wish I had the energy to bake some fresh bread.  Maybe after I have a nap?  (I always say that and it never happens, but a gal can hope!)




Then again, there are so many creative projects awaiting, so perhaps I will get distracted in that vein.  Like this adorable Arctic fox hooded cowl that I crocheted in an evening.  (The yarn was super thick and worked up really fast, which I love!)  Except my youngest thinks she looks more like a cat.  What do you think?  Fox or cat?  



Joining Ginny and friends for this week's Yarn Along.  

8 comments:

  1. There is so much I love about the photo of you reading to your kiddos...the pink yarn in the background, the snacks, the way your two oldest are focused on the book you are reading, and of course that belly of yours. It is beautiful.

    So lovely to see you enjoying the fall season, even if the change is hard. We had our first pot of chili the weekend, the soups are back into our meal plan rotation...I love all the warming fall meals.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, soups and stews really are perfect for Fall. I made some today and it just hit the spot. I totally agree: I love warming fall meals.

      And, yes, I love that photo too... minus the deer-caught-in-headlights look I have on. :) Thank you, dear friend.

      Delete
  2. I understand how you feel about the rushed mornings and not being able to connect with each of your children because you have to get out the door! Have you thought about homeschooling? It seems, from your blog, that you'd be such a natural at it, that it would be such a perfect fit for your family!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to homeschool. At this point it's not possible. :( And that makes me so sad sometimes! I hope one day it will be an option. It really has so many advantages that fit so well with our lives.

      Delete
  3. I still miss my boys when they head off to school... and they're much older than your little flock! Our fall comfort food is apple crumble with lots of cinnamon. It's quick to make and so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered if that will always be the case, and I guess you've given me my answer! I love apple crumble. With a dollop of homemade ice cream. :)

      Delete
  4. Your daughter is adorable, but hubby and I agree that the hood doesn't say fox. It's a cat I suppose. What truly matters is that your daughter loves her hood and you love her,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I think you're right. It just doesn't say fox. Perhaps next time I will just round out the ears and go bear. :)

      Delete