9 June 2014

gardening and a snobby french demoiselle



I have come to the conclusion that I am easily frazzled by too much noise or deadlines.  They stress me out until I either lose it or shut down.  I don't have a large family by most standards, but I find being pulled in three directions is sort of exhausting at times.  And I want so much to give each one all the love and attention they need, and just fill their little hearts with goodness.  Doesn't quite happen that way, though we have our moments.  Many are the times I am split amongst three, or four (or five if I'm included) bewildering personalities and my whole inner is wailing "uncle!".  All I want to do is curl up in my bed until it stops!  (What was I thinking having kids!?)  Some people do so well under stress.  Multitasking pros.  Me?  Not so much.  I guess I'm a work in progress.



This may be why I love crocheting and gardening so much.  They calm me down.  Some people breathe.  Some do yoga.  I garden (or crochet as the case may be).  It works.  And our little container garden is thriving.  Radishes.  How I love thee.  Almost ready for harvest.  Little bulbs of victory are peeking out of the soil.  

And the rest of our pots are well on their way.  The cucumbers are sprouting well and in a couple of weeks we'll be able to start tying them to the stakes.  A happy thought!  Parsley has sprouted at last and we've planted a few more seeds to fill up the pot.  Spinach and lettuce are putting out their leaves now too.  It's all I can do to keep J away from them.  She saw me thinning some pots a few days back and so she has it in her head now to do a little "thinning" of her own.  Mercy!  What a sad crop we would/might still have.  Wish me luck...


M started soccer for the summer.  He's a pretty fast kid for a 5 year old.  I thought I'd have at least until adolescence before he would be able to outrun me.  Ya.  Not going to happen.  Given the current evidence and his genetic makeup (D is pretty speedy), I give it 2 or 3 years.  And nothing makes him happier than racing.  Racing his sister, racing after a ball, racing other 5 year olds...  Loves to race.  Soccer is perfect for him.  Too bad they only have it once a week!  On second thought, given my sentiments above, it's probably a good thing they only play once a week.  






Since today is such a nice day, we decided to make a summer dessert: creme caramel.  My Teta Isabelle was a master chef in her day - and at over ninety she is still going strong!  Years ago I went over to her house and she taught me how to make it from scratch.  Just milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. From that comes forth a cold, buttery yellow custard quivering in its own caramel sauce.  Despite being a rather snobby french demoiselle, it is the perfect summer dessert - light, cold and elegant.  

Our pans are chilling in the fridge right now, so here's a "halfway there" photo in anticipation of the masterpiece.  And yes, I used pans not ramekins.  (Who with two monkeys running around their legs has the time to deal with ramekins!?)  Not I.  Nay, not I.

Enjoy your Monday!  And cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment